For TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time.
Our time tracker eliminates the need for a third-party time-tracking application. Here, we show you how to use it, so that you and your team stay on point and keep your projects going.
- Starting the Timer
- Adding Time Entries Manually
- Linking Time Entries to Jobs
- The Time Entry List
- Filtering a Time Entry List
- Making Changes to Time Entries
- Exporting Time Entries
- Printing a Time Entry List
- Deleting Time Entries
Starting the Timer
1. Click + NEW in the left sidebar, then select Time Entry.
2. Click START A NEW TIMER to begin tracking your time. That’s it. Your time is now being tracked.
Plus, you can also...
- ...add a description about what you’re working on and use formatting and links.
- ...add tags to your time entry; all tags are available here (learn more about tags here).
The timer is displayed at the top right of your screen and shows up on all the pages you open. It includes your time and the project’s client account ID.
Note: If you leave the Track your time page without clicking Start a New Timer, you’ll see a warning. Click Cancel in the pop-up, then start a timer or enter the time manually. If you check the Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs box, you’ll stop receiving alerts. The alerts are helpful reminders, especially when you’re in a rush, so think twice before checking that box!
Click on the timer if you need to...
- ...pause it.
- ...stop it.
- ...delete it.
When the timer is paused, the clock icon will be displayed at the top right. To continue the time tracking, click on this icon, then click Play:
Adding Time Entries Manually
In addition to having a time tracker, TaxDome allows you to make manual time entries. The time tracker records only your own time, but you can make manual time entries for yourself and other team members.
To add a time entry manually:
1. Click + New in the left sidebar, select Time Entry, then click ADD ENTRY MANUALLY.
2. Enter the duration or indicate a start and end time. By default, the start time is the current time.
7. Click SAVE.
Plus, you can also...
- ...add a time entry for another team member by changing the name in the Assignee field.
- ...change the date you or another team member worked on a project. By default, the date is the current one.
- ...add notes about the project and use formatting and links.
- ...add tags to the time entry; all tags are available (learn more about tags here).
Linking Time Entries to Jobs
Linking time entries to jobs helps make them quickly available in your pipelines. They can be linked to jobs by a firm owner, Admin, or any employee with access rights to manage time entries.
1. Click on the job box to expand it, click + Link at the top, then select Time Entries.
2. Choose the time entry. Link any time entry previously added to the client’s account and however many you need to.
Once time entries are linked, they appear in the Time Entries section of the job box. Click the x to unlink unnecessary time entries.
Time Entry List
There are two ways to view time entries:
- For all accounts: Go to the Invoices section, then open the Time Entries tab. Here, you’ll see every time entry for every client project that you and your team are working on.
- For a single account: Go to Clients, click on the client account name, go to Invoices, then open the Time Entries tab. Here, you’ll see every time entry for the selected client and how much progress has been made. Time entries for an account can be managed by a firm owner, Admin, or any employee with access rights to manage time entries.
In the time entry list, you’ll see these column headers:
- ID: the client’s unique ID (not displayed on the client account profile page).
- NAME: the account name the time entry is for. Click on the client’s account name to access its details.
- ASSIGNEE: the name of the team member the time entry is for.
- DESCRIPTION: a brief description of the project (if one was given when the time entry was created).
- START: the date and time the project was started.
- END: the date and time the project was completed. If the time tracker is still on, an IN PROGRESS tag appears here.
- DURATION: the total duration of the time entry.
- CREATED BY: the name of the team member who added the time entry.
- TAGS: the tag that was added to the time.
Filtering a Time Entry List
Filters are useful when you need to find certain types of time entries. For example, filtering allows you to quickly find all the time entries for a specific team member. There are five ways to filter them:
By team member: See only the time entries assigned to selected team members.
By account: See only the time entries for selected client accounts.
By start date: See only the time entries with start dates that are in a specific time frame.
By due date: See only time entries with due dates that are in a specific time frame.
By tags: See only time entries with specific tags. For example, you can use them to quickly find all time entries for clients who had a Form 1040 prepared.
To filter time entries, click FILTER in the top right corner, select the filters you want, then click APPLY. Filters remain the same when you leave and reopen the page. All filters are reusable and could be saved as templates. Read more on using filters in the article.
Making Changes to Time Entries
To make changes to time entries, click on the three dots to the far right of an entry, then select Edit in the pull-down menu.
Printing a Time Entry List
To print a time entry list, click Print at the top right of the page.
By default, the time entry list displays 25 items per page. If you want to print more time entries, select the number you’d prefer in the Rows per page menu on the bottom left.
Your browser will prompt you to print the list, which will include the current date and time.
Deleting Time Entries
To remove a completed time entry, click on the three dots to the far right of the entry, then select Delete in the pull-down menu.
To remove an incomplete time entry, click the timer on the top right, then click DELETE.