Tasks (Basic): View a Task List, Filter, Edit
For TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time!
TaxDome features a unique and easy-to-use Insights page that displays all of the tasks in progress at your firm. Learn how to filter and edit them for your team—and more.
For more helpful how-to videos, visit TaxDome Academy, our free online hub for
viewing and learning everything you need to know about TaxDome.
- About Tasks
- The Task List
- Filtering a Task List
- Viewing Client Accounts With Overdue Tasks
- Editing Tasks
- The Task Audit Trail
- Using Task Comments
- Printing a Task List
- Exporting Tasks
- Deleting Tasks
Once a task is created, it’s on your Insights page. If you select All members in the Tasks: to do widget, you’ll see a list of client accounts and tasks for each one. This way, you’re always aware of what clients need and how work is progressing:
When a task is almost due or a new task has been assigned to you, you get a notification in your Inbox+ and email. Click on the task’s name or on Go to... to get to it.
Note: Change your notification preferences at any time.
When you have pending assigned tasks, a green notification circle appears next to Workflow in the left sidebar menu. To see your tasks, go to Workflow, then open the Tasks tab.
By default, only your assigned tasks are displayed. To see all tasks for the firm, click on the My Tasks drop-down in the top left and select All Tasks.
To see the tasks that haven’t yet been assigned, select Unassigned.
Tasks that need work or are scheduled as future to-dos are displayed in the Pending tab.
Once a task is done, click on its status and change it to COMPLETED. Once the status of the task is changed, it moves to the Completed tab.
Note: Completed tasks can still be edited. Move the task back to the Pending tab by changing its status to PLANNED, IN PROGRESS, WAITING FOR SIGNATURES or WAITING FOR CLIENT.
To see all the tasks for a client, go to Clients, click on the client’s name, then go to Workflow. Go to Pending Tasks and Completed Tasks to see all tasks for that account—as well as their statuses, assigned tags, progress, start dates, due dates and whether they’ve been assigned to you or another team member.
You can also view all tasks on the Calendar page. Click Tasks to switch to a task-only view. For more details about calendar views, go here.
The Task List
In the task list, you’ll see these icons:
This means the task is recurring.
This means the task is overdue—the due date has expired and the status hasn’t yet been changed to COMPLETED.
You’ll also see these column headers:
ACCOUNT: Click on the account name to instantly access its details.
TASK NAME: This is what you or a team member called the task.
DUE DATE: This is the deadline for the task to be completed.
STATUS: Tasks are in PLANNED, IN PROGRESS or COMPLETED status. If a task was not given a status, this is blank. To change the status of a task without editing it, hover your mouse over this column to display the statuses, then select one.
SUBTASKS: The first figure is the number of completed subtasks; the second, the total number of subtasks.
ASSIGNEE(S): This tells you who is assigned to the task.
PRIORITY: Tasks have a LOW, HIGH, MEDIUM or URGENT priority. The tags help you prioritize. To change the priority of a task without editing the task, hover your mouse over the column to display the priority levels, then select one.
JOB NAME: This is the name of the job the task is linked to. Click on the job to view its details and make any changes.
- DESCRIPTION: Writing a description is optional but useful.
- PIPELINE: If a task is linked to a job, you’ll see what pipeline it’s in. Click the pipeline name to go to it.
- STAGE: If a task is linked to a job, you’ll see what stage it’s in. Click the stage’s name to navigate to the pipeline.
- TAGS: Colored tags can be added to tasks to sort out unnecessary info.
To search for tasks, type a keyword in the search field.
Use sorting to find certain tasks—and while filtering and searching too.
To sort a list of tasks in the Task Name or Due Date column, click the up-down arrow next to the column header.
Filtering a Task List
Filters are useful when you want to view tasks by type. For example, filter them to find all overdue ones. There are different ways to filter tasks:
- By assignee: See only the tasks assigned to certain person. To see only unassigned tasks, select Unassigned in the drop-down on the left.
By account: See only the tasks belonging to specific accounts.
By pipelines and stages: See only the tasks in specific pipelines. Select a stage or stages from different pipelines to narrow the results even more.
By start date: See only the tasks that have a specific start-date time frame.
By due date: See only the tasks that have a specific due-date time frame.
By tags: See only the tasks with specific tags.
By overdue status: See only the overdue tasks (the due date has expired and the status hasn’t yet been changed to COMPLETED).
By priority: See only the tasks with a specific priority level (LOW, HIGH, MEDIUM or URGENT).
By status: See only the tasks with a specific status (PLANNED, IN PROGRESS, WAITING FOR SIGNATURES or WAITING FOR CLIENT) or no status at all.
To narrow a list of tasks:
1. Go to the Workflow section, then to Tasks.
2. Click FILTER in the top right corner, select one or more filters, then click APPLY. For more details on using filters, go here.
Viewing Client Accounts With Overdue Tasks
Filter a client account list so that it shows only the clients with overdue tasks:
Go to Clients, then click FILTER in the top right corner.
In the TASKS section, select Overdue, then click APPLY.
You’ll now see a list with all clients that have overdue, incomplete tasks and exactly how many remain for each account.
Edit a task to change its status or account, check off its subtasks, or rewrite its description. Tasks can be edited one at a time or in bulk.
There are three ways to edit a task:
- Click on the task name on the dashboard.
- Select the task name in your Tasks list, then click Edit.
Change the assignee, start date, due date, priority, and status in the Task list.
Note: When you change the account of a task linked to a job, it unlinks.
Bulk Editing Tasks
To make changes to several tasks:
1. Select the task names in a Tasks list, then click Edit.
2. Make your changes, then click SAVE.
When bulk editing tasks, keep in mind:
- You cannot attach or remove files.
- You cannot edit subtasks.
- You cannot edit, delete or add comments.
- The data in all unchanged fields remains the same.
Edit a task on its own if you need to do any of the above.
Task Audit Trail
You may need to review the history of a task—that is, see all the events that have taken place with a task.
TaxDome’s audit log lets you track when someone did any of the following with a task:
- They changed the assignee.
- They changed the name.
- They changed the description.
- They added or deleted subtasks.
- They changed the priority.
- They changed the status.
- They set or changed the start date.
- They set or changed the due date.
- They set or changed the tags.
To view a task’s history, click on the three dots to the far right of the task’s name in the Tasks list, then click Audit Trail, or click the Audit Trail link inside the task itself.
Using Task Comments
While working, you might come across information you need for a specific task. Jot it down inside the task comments. This way, team members assigned to the task will see it.
To add a comment to a task:
1. Click on the task name or the three dots to its far right, then select Edit.
2. In the Comments section, click Add comment, click on the text field, then type the note.
3. Click SAVE to keep your changes. The comment—along with the date and name of the team member who wrote it—is then saved inside the task. When the comment is no longer needed, click the trash icon to its right to delete it.
Printing a Task List
To print a task list, click the print icon in the top right corner.
By default, a task list displays 25 items per page. If you want to print more, select how many in the Rows per page menu on the bottom left.
Your browser will prompt you to print the list, which will include the current date and time.
To remove a task completely, follow these steps:
Click the three dots to the far right of the task name, then click Delete.
Click DELETE in the Delete Confirmation pop-up.