Invoices (Basic): Offline Payments, Discounts & Promotional Credits
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time.
Learn how to manually add a payment on TaxDome when a client pays with a check, cash or a card-processing service such as Square. Reward clients with bonuses, and add discounts either to manually created invoices or to invoice templates.
- Making Offline Payments
- Giving Clients Promotional Credit
- What Clients See When You Create Payments and Promotional Credits
- Giving Discounts
- Paying Invoices with Credits (Fully or Partly)
Making Offline Payments
A firm owner, admin or team member with access rights to manage payments can make manual payments.
Once the manual payment is added, the client gets TaxDome credits. This is called creating a manual payment. Account credits are used toward paying an existing invoice. Plus, you might also want to use our manual-payment feature to give clients promotional credits (see below)!
To manually record a payment not made on TaxDome (cash, check, Square, Venmo, etc.), follow these steps:
1. Click + NEW in the left sidebar menu, select Payment from the slide-out, choose the account, then enter the amount of the payment.
2. Select Offline Payment as the payment type, whether ACH, cash, check or credit card. It will update in QuickBooks.
3. Add a description outlining what the payment is for.
4. That’s it! Click Submit to make the manual payment.
Learn more about additional options for manual payments:
1. Link to Jobs: Link your manual payment to an existing job to make it immediately available in your workflow when needed. Click Link to Jobs, then select the jobs. Once linked, the Jobs section is displayed at the bottom. You can see the job title and the pipeline it’s in (for more on linking payments to jobs, go here).
2. Date: This is when the client made the payment. By default, you’ll see the current date.
3. Send client email notification: Select this if you want an email about the manual payment to go out to the client.
4. Select which unpaid invoices you want the payment to cover: You’ll see the list of invoices issued for the selected account. The sum of the selected invoices must be less than or equal to the total amount of the payment you are creating.
Giving Clients Promotional Credit
Clients can accrue credit on TaxDome to pay for your services. Offering promotional credits is nice perk to offer clients without you having to devalue or discount your product. You can also use them to provide a refund.
Promotional credits are manually added to an client’s account balance. Keep in mind:
- Promotional credits aren’t included in the calculation of your total revenue.
- Promotional credits aren’t synced with QuickBooks.
To add promotional credit to a client’s account, click the + NEW button in the left sidebar menu, select Payment from the slide-out, then enter the amount of the credit. Select the Promotional credit as the payment type. See above for more details.
What Clients See When You Create Payments or Promotional Credits
Your clients see their promotional credits and manual payments in the Home section of their portal and can use them to pay for their invoices.
To see TaxDome from the client’s side, access a read-only view.
For more helpful how-to videos, visit TaxDome Academy, our free online hub for
viewing and learning everything you need to know about TaxDome.
Another way to encourage customer loyalty is to offer discounts. Think: a special seasonal or holiday offer or early bird deal, for instance. You can save them as a service that you quickly select and add to an invoice.
To add a discount to the invoice:
1. Click the + NEW button in the left sidebar, select Invoice from the slide-out.
2. Add as many line items to your invoice as needed, then click the Discount link.
3. Enter what kind of discount you are giving. Check the RATE and quantity (QTY) fields and edit them if needed. If you have commonly used discounts add them as services so that you can always quickly select them.
4. Send the invoice to the customer.